Most people think cloth nappies are hard work- they are truly misinformed! It is not as hard as you might think.
- Rinse and flush solids (a sprayer may be handy but not necessary)
- Hand rinse under tap and store in an open basket or pail until wash day
- Wash Day
- Pre wash - put the whole load of soiled nappies in for a warm (40c) quick wash cycle to remove most of the urine and soiling. Use about 1/2 the recommended detergent amount for a normal load.
- Main wash - Bulking up the load with baby clothes, and tea towels to reach maximum agitation;, run a long, hot (60c) wash. Use the recommended detergent amount for a heavily soiled load.
- If using the dryer, dry shells on the lowest temp settings to avoid damaging the shells. Inserts can be dried at higher temps.
* Night nappies require a warm long rinse under the tap preferably with some detergent to remove the overnight urine from the nappies. Keep rinsing until the water in the sink runs clear.